Royal C. Johnson Veterans Memorial Hospital
The staff at the Sioux Falls VA Medical Center have provided a number of ways for you to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and self-manage your own health.
The My HealtheVet site provides veterans and their families excellent, reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA News. Information about veterans benefits and services is also available.
Upon registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to —
- Refill prescriptions online
- Keep personal food and activity journals
- Monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- Maintain your own self-entered personal health record
Patient Education Classes
Diabetes Education Classes
Class Description -Diabetes Education classes are available to help you improve your diabetes control and overall health. Whether you are new to diabetes or you have had it for years, we can help you learn how to better manage your diabetes and feel your best!
- Contact Person - Allison Lutz, Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator
- Phone Number – 1-605-336-3230, Ext. 6359
Class Description – Registered Dietitians are available to help you improve your health through nutrition education and counseling. Whether you would like to lose weight, lower blood pressure, or just learn more about a healthy diet, a Registered Dietitian can help you reach your nutrition and lifestyle goals. Dietitians provide assistance with many conditions, including diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, weight management, food allergies and intolerances, gastrointestinal disorders, and more. A Dietitian can individualize a nutrition plan for you and can help with meal planning, recipe ideas, shopping tips, and more.
- Contact Person: Ken Johnson, Registered Dietitian
- Phone Number - 1-605-336-3230, Ext. 6359
Class Description – The MOVE! Program provides education and support to veterans who are trying to lose weight. Individual nutrition counseling and group nutrition classes are available to veterans. Education is provided by a Registered Dietitian/Certified Diabetes Educator. There are also support groups available for veterans trying to maintain weight loss.
- Contact person – Amy Eisenbeisz, Registered Dietitian
- Phone Number – 1-605-336-3230, Ext. 5992
Your provider or nurse will give you information on your medical condition, procedures, etc. to help you manage at home.
A Pharmacist will explain your medications to you at discharge. S/he will give you a print-out of your medications to take home.