Royal C. Johnson Veterans Memorial Hospital
Health Professions Trainees
|Affiliate Representative Contacts|
For any questions about Affiliation Agreements, requesting training, or the onboarding process send e-mails to
|Health Professions Trainee Onboarding Specialist:
As we prepare for the upcoming flu season, the VA has revised the policy regarding influenza vaccination. Per VHA Directive 1192.01 all health care personnnel, including health care trainees, are now required to participate in the seasonal influenza vaccination program.
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System provides a wide variety of educational opportunities for current employees as well as future employees, including students, interns and residents in an array of clinical and administrative careers.
Affiliates and Health Professional Trainees
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System works with hundreds of medical residents and students every year. We ask that all student questions or concerns that are not addressed by these instructions or this website be directed to your affiliate representative at your Institution. If your affiliate representative at your Institution cannot answer or address your concerns then they (not individual students) may contact the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System Health Professions Trainee Onboarding Specialist by e-mailing vhasuxStudentRequest@va.gov.
When requesting training at the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System (SFVAHCS), please refer to this page.
Throughout this page the use of affiliate is to mean the University, College, Institution, or School that is requesting an Affiliation Agreement and training for students.
Due to Federal Regulations, the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System is unable to support individuals observing, shadowing, volunteering or assisting as a volunteer in any type of facility administrative, business or clinical experience or capacity. All individuals seeking practical experience must be sponsored by an existing affiliate and have completed all required trainings and forms. The SFVAHCS will not approve training requests that do not meet the minimum requirement of 40 hours.
Requesting Clinical, Practical, or Research Rotations/Training at the Sioux Falls VA
- Ensure there is an affiliation agreement in place for your school and program.
An affiliate representative, not the student, contacts the Sioux Falls VA Health Professions Trainee Onboarding Specialist by e-mailing vhasuxStudentRequest@va.gov to ensure there is an up to date affiliation agreement on file.
Affiliates and the programs must be accredited, and accreditation must be verifiable on CHEA.org or through the Department of Education.
- Once it has been confirmed that there is an affiliation agreement in place, the affiliate representative must complete a TQCVL (Trainee Qualifications and Credentials Verification Letter). This is a two-page letter with a two-page list. This letter must be completed and turned in to start the onboarding process, training requests will not be approved until this has been completed. The letter is signed by the school representative stating that all criteria in the letter have been verified and is on file at the affiliate and the SFVAHCS can contact the affiliate at any time to review the documents. Read the TQCVL carefully before signing and ensure you have all the requested documents and/or information on file.
Please use the HPT Form Guide below to help complete the TQCVL Properly
Health Care Personnel Influenza Vaccination Form
Documentation , including manufacturer/lot number, needs to be attached. This must be sent with the TQCVL
- Once the TQCVL has been completed, to include all columns of the attached lists, e-mail the document to vhasuxStudentRequest@va.gov .
- The HPT Onboarding Specialist will then contact the appropriate department to find a preceptor or to get approval for a clinical group. Once a response is received from the appropriate SFVAHCS department, the information will be sent to the affiliate.
- Once the affilate receives approval of the training request, the affiliate (not the SFVAHCS) will send the link to the Health Professions Trainee Checklist to each student, which can be found below. This list contains all the necessary paperwork, training, and appointments that students must complete in order to start the onboarding process for the SFVAHCS.
- The SFVAHCS requires that all training, appointments, and paperwork be completed and turned in at least 7 weeks prior to the start of the requested rotation. Keep this timeline in mind when requesting training, as the checklist should not be started until the TQCVL has been approved. If these are not completed and turned in 7 weeks prior to the start of rotation, this could result in a delay in training, or possible cancellation of the request.
- Once the SFVAHCS has received the student paperwork, the training has been completed, and the fingerprinting results are received, the SFVAHCS will send paperwork to appropriate departments for review and signature. Once these have all been signed, the SFVAHCS will request accounts for the trainees as necessary, some trainees do not need computer accounts.
- All trainees will receive a badge. Trainees cannot make an appointment for a badge until the affiliate receives notification from the SFVAHCS, specifically the Onboarding Specialist. For most trainees a badge can not be sponsored by the SFVAHCS until computer accounts are created. Notification for trainees to make badge appointments usually is not sent until about 1 week before the start of a rotation. Please do not contact the SFVAHCS about a badge appointment unless you are under a week away from the start of a rotation and you have not heard anything.
- ALL trainees must stop to see the Onboarding Specialist on their first day of training. All trainees must sign an appointment affidavit, and this is when they will receive their login codes for computer accounts.
SFVAHCS Employees Requesting Clinical, Practical, or Research Rotations
- The employee requesting a rotation must have been employed at the SFVAHCS for at least 1 year, this cannot be waived.
- The employee must have attained a Fully Successful or higher proficiency rating/performance appraisal during the last rating period, this cannot be waived.
- The SFVAHCS employee requesting training does not have to complete all of the paperwork, training, and appointments listed on the Health Professions Trainee Checklist. Below are links to what will need to be completed.
*Employees do not need to complete the OF 306 Declaration for Federal Employment, the Fingerprinting form or appointment, and do not need to complete the TMS training (Mandatory Training for Trainees).
- Employees cannot train on their home unit.
- Employees cannot train during official VA time.
- Employees will have to complete the VA Dual Employee Trainee Appointment Time Tracking Sheet, which will track their training hours and work hours, to ensure they are not overlapping.
- Employee trainees will have to send a schedule of training dates to the Clinical Applications Coordinators (CACs) at the SFVAHCS prior to the start of their training rotation. The employees title in CPRS must state while they are training that they are a student and cannot have their employee title. The CACs help to monitor this.
- Employees will not need a badge appointment and will not turn in badges at the completion of training as they will be using their employee badge.
Requesting Rotations for Nursing Clinical Groups
- The affiliate must provide an instructor for the group, the SFVAHCS will not provide an instructor for clinical groups. The SFVAHCS is not able to help you find an instructor.
- If the clinical group instructor is not a SFVAHCS employee, they will have to go through an onboarding process and complete credentialing and training. E-mail vhasuxStudentRequest@va.gov to inform the SFVAHCS of any new instructors and to receive the onboarding requirements for a new instructor.
- If the instructor is a SFVAHCS employee, they cannot be on official VA time in a paid status. The employee must be “off the clock”, this will be a without compensation appointment at the SFVAHCS.
- If the instructor is a SFVAHCS employee, they cannot instruct on their home unit.
- If the clinical group instructor is a SFVAHCS employee, it is the instructor’s responsibility to conduct computer training for the clinical group. If the instructor is not a SFVAHCS employee, the computer training will be conducted by the appropriate personnel at the SFVAHCS.
- Computer training will be scheduled for the morning of the first day of the clinical group’s rotation, unless the affiliate coordinates another day prior to the start of the rotation, or the computer lab is not available and the SFVAHCS coordinates another time. Computer training must take place before the group can start a rotation.
Students interested in applying for employment at the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System please go to www.usajobs.gov (Narrow your search by Geographical location and Position) or contact Human Resources Phone: (605) 333-6852.