Sioux Falls VA Health Care System
Health Professions Trainees
Student Clinical and Preceptorship
Chief, Education Service:
Shelly Roth, MSN, RN
"Bailey" Amber Bailey
|Student Request Email|
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System provides a wide variety of educational opportunities for current employees as well as future employees, including students, interns and residents in an array of clinical and administrative careers.
Affiliates and Health Professional Trainees
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System works with hundreds of medical residents and students every year. We ask that all student questions or concerns that are not addressed by these instructions or this website be directed to your Clinical Program Coordinator or Instructor at your Institution. If your Clinical Program Coordinator or Instructor at your Institution cannot answer or address your concerns then they (not individual students) may contact the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System Department of Education at (605) 336-3230 X96441 or e-mail vhasuxStudentRequest@va.gov.
IMPORTANT: Due to Federal Regulations, The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System is unable to support individuals observing, shadowing, volunteering or assisting as a volunteer in any type of facility administrative, business or clinical experience or capacity. All individuals seeking practical experience must be sponsored by an existing affiliate and have completed all required trainings and forms.
Instructions to apply for practical experience and/or clinical rotation:
Before you can begin your clinical experience, your school's clinical program coordinator must ensure that our facility can support your desired rotation dates and is able to provide an educational experience that meets your school's requirements. This is extremely important particularly when coordinating large groups of students. Your school’s clinical coordinator should contact the Education Program Assistant at our facility to get approval and to determine if the department has any unique or special requirements that must be accomplished. Once approval has been given, and the paperwork is turned in, the next step is to ensure that there is an affiliation agreement between your school's specific program and the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System. Please note that no one will be allowed to conduct a practical/clinical experience without an affiliation agreement in place (No Exceptions). Check to ensure your program has a current affiliation agreement in place. Please contact the Education Department to with any questions about an Affiliation Agreement or to check if there is one in place with you program.
Chief, Education Service - Shelly Roth (605) 333-6807
Education Program Assistant - Amber Bailey (605) 336-3230 dial 9 X6441
After an affiliation agreement is in place, there are several required trainings and forms.
All Students/affiliates please proceed as follows
1. At least 4 weeks prior to your requested Clinical Rotation you should e-mail or fax the following forms to the Department of Education. E-mail: vhasuxStudentRequest@va.gov Fax: (605) 977-4401.
Please have Students complete the Student Request Information and Checklist. This contains all forms, training, and appointments necessary to complete the student onboarding process.
2. VHA Mandatory Training for Trainees
To allow the student to interact with patients and have access to our information systems, they are required to complete a mandatory training item using the VA Talent Management System (TMS). The item is titled VHA Mandatory Training for Trainees (MTT) and if they are in a multi-year program, this training must be completed every 365 days to remain compliant, Mandatory Training for Trainees Refresher.
TMS can be found at http://www.tms.va.gov. They will follow the steps in the TMS Instructions, create their profile, launch the mandatory training item, and complete the content prior to beginning their clinical training.
Facility-specific information to complete the TMS self-enrollment process:
- Organization: VHA
- VA Location Code: SUX
- Trainee Type and Specialty Discipline: Associated Health Trainee
- VA Point of Contact First Name: (Amber)
- VA Point of Contact Last Name: (Bailey)
- VA Point of Contact Email Address: (email@example.com)
- VA Point of Contact Phone Number: (605.336.3230 x6441)
- Printed Certificate Required? Yes Instructions to print the TMS MTT Certificate:
- On the main page under the title, “My History”, click on “view all”. Hover over the completed Mandatory Training for Trainees module and choose,” Print Certificate”. Students must send their certificates along with the rest of the requested paperwork to the Sioux Falls VA Education Department.
3. Absolutely no more than 120 days prior to your planned clinical rotation and no later than 4 weeks prior to your scheduled start date, you will need to obtain fingerprints
a. Go to https://va-piv.com to create an account and schedule and appointment for your fingerprinting. See instructions for creating an account.
b. OF 306 Declaration for Federal Employment
c. HR Fingerprinting Form Complete the OF 306 Declaration for Federal Employment and the HR fingerprinting form, and hand carry with you to your appointment, along with two forms of ID.
If you live closer to another VA, please schedule your appointment and ensure you bring the following information with you. If you do not bring this information we will not receive the results and this will delay your training.
SOI: VA86 and SON: 1179
4. After all the student paperwork has been received and processed, along with the results from the fingerprinting, the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System Education Department will contact the Affiliates Program Coordinator to let them know when the student can schedule an appointment for PIV Badge Photo. This is also scheduled at https://va-piv.com and students will use the account they created before to schedule this. Do NOT make this appointment until you have been notified by the Education Department.
5. Once the Student has completed their training here at the Sioux Falls VA, it is vital that they return their badge to the PIV/Fingerprinting office.
6. Please have students complete the VA Trainee Satisfaction Survey at https://www.va.gov/oaa/surveys
7. Students interested in applying for employment at the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System please go to www.usajobs.gov (Narrow your search by Geographical location and Position) or contact Human Resources Phone: (605) 333-6852.